Call for Submissions to Chicken Soup for the Soul Book | If you are the parent of a child, from newborn to college age, with autism or Asperger’s, the publishers of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books invite you to share your story about raising your child. These stories will provide advice, comfort, and insight to other parents in the same situation.
They are looking for non-fiction stories and poems written in the first person of no more than 1,200 words. These must be your personal stories. Here are some suggested topics, though you can probably think of many more:
- How you first recognized the symptoms
- Meeting the challenges of everyday life
- Academic struggles or brilliance
- Good and bad experiences with school administrations
- Appreciating your child for exactly who he/she is
- Helping your child build a social life
- Successful treatments — what has worked for you
- Helping siblings and family members cope
- The effect on your marriage and personal relationships
- The importance of taking time for yourself
- The importance of a support system
- The lighter side
- The positive side — benefits of autism or Asperger’s
For further guidelines, see the submissions area on the Chicken Soup website. To submit, click here and follow the directions. If your story is chosen, you will receive a check for $200 and 10 free copies of your book. You will retain the copyright for your story and you will retain the right to resell it. DEADLINE IS September 30, 2012. They plan to publish the book on April 2, 2013, for Autism Awareness Month.